As a private nonprofit organization, Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County relies on the good will of the community it serves. Your tax-deductible charitable donations are appreciated.
Every dollar helps us fulfill our mission to provide high-quality legal services to low-income people, seniors, and victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking in times of crisis. Donate online today!
Ways to donate:
- Over the phone
- By mail
- In person at any of our locations
- By check (please make checks payable to Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County) and mail them to:
Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County
301 E. Canon Perdido Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
- By credit card, use the feature above or contact Trisha Geyer at 805-963-6754 ext. 101
For more information on donating to Legal Aid, please contact:
805-963-6754 ext. 103
The Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County is currently requesting the items listed below. Please contact Jennifer Smith, Executive Director if you are interested in donating an item from our Wish List. Your donation may qualify as a tax deduction.
Our Wish List
- Sturdy, gently used metal or wooden patio furniture
Other Ways to Contribute
Purchase home or office water delivery from Pure Water Systems
Pure Water Systems will donate $25 to the Legal Aid Foundation each time a Legal Aid supporter signs up or transfers their current service to Pure Water System/Matillja Bottled Water. When ordering or transferring services, ask for Lori Zahn and let her know you were referred by The Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County:
Pure Water Systems
1026 Santa Barbara Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
If you shop at Amazon you can support Legal Aid. AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support Legal Aid every time you shop, at no cost to you. To sign up, go to smile.amazon.com and register your Amazon account. Choose Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County as your favorite charity. Amazon will donate 0.5% of eligible purchases to Legal Aid. You pay nothing extra.
Cy Pres Awards
Cy pres are funds in class action cases (and sometimes other types of proceedings like probate matters) that, for any number of reasons, cannot be distributed to the class members or beneficiaries who were the intended recipients. Typically, courts can distribute these residual funds to appropriate charitable causes, and Legal Aid and the many organizations it supports are appropriate beneficiaries.
The Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County is an ideal place to direct cy pres awards. Our mission is to build a better justice system for all Californians. Through our grant and scholarship programs, we:
- Champion full and equal access to the justice system
- Educate the public about its rights and responsibilities under the law
- Provide outreach to seniors and victims of domestic violence
- Protect low-income people from abuse, discrimination and homelessness
- Assist with unmet needs, such as family law and consumer debt
Since 1959 Legal Aid has provided free legal assistance in critical civil matters. Our services range from the provision of legal information and advice to assistance with the preparation of legal documents and representation in court proceedings. We have offices in Santa Barbara, Santa Maria and Lompoc.
- Legal Aid’s mission. Our mission is to ensure equal and meaningful access to the civil justice system to Santa Barbara county residents living at or below the poverty level, those facing language or disability barriers, seniors and others living on fixed incomes such as Social Security, and victims of domestic violence and elder abuse.
- Legal Aid’s flexibility. Legal Aid has the flexibility of using a cy pres award to expand our domestic violence programs or to target the funds towards specific access to justice projects. We welcome cy pres awards that are not designated for specific projects or organizations but would support the full complement of Legal Aid’s programs.
- Legal Aid’s oversight capabilities. Because Legal Aid provides ongoing oversight of the projects it funds, the parties can be confident that cy pres funds will be used in the manner contemplated by the court.
- Legal Aid’s service to the courts. Legal Aid is relatively unique in that it funds projects of California courts, including Legal Resource Centers that are critical to the fair and efficient administration of justice.
You Can Make a Real Difference to Improve Our Justice System
Thanks to our many supporters, Legal Aid is making a real impact in its efforts to increase access to justice.
Cy pres awards have proven to be one of the best means available to help close this gap, bolstering existing legal aid, legal resource centers and providing many new access to justice initiatives. For more information about how you can help build a better justice system by directing a cy pres award to the Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara, contact Jennifer Smith at 805.963.6754
Sponsor Chowder Fest
Support our work by becoming a sponsor of our annual event, Chowder Fest. For more information, visit our Chowder Fest website.