For more information about potential volunteer internships for college students or law students, please contact email@example.com.
Legal Resource Center Attorney – Lompoc/Santa Barbara (June 28, 2019)
Job Summary: The Legal Resource Centers (LRC) of Santa Barbara County provide free legal services to self-represented litigants (SRLs). The LRCs are staffed by a California licensed attorney and open to the public on a first-come, first-served basis. Assistance is offered in the completion of legal and court documents for various civil matters, including: Small Claims; Collecting Judgments; Debt Collections; Landlord Tenant Law; Step-Parent Adoptions; All types of Restraining Orders and Responses (Domestic Violence, Civil Anti-Harassment, Elder Abuse, Workplace Harassment); Name Changes; and General Civil issues.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting SRLs with civil case issues, in accordance with Legal Aid policies.
- Providing direct assistance in the preparation and filing of mandatory court forms.
- Explaining basic legal concepts and helping SRLs navigate the legal process.
- Developing and maintaining self-help materials, office forms and training materials.
- Recruiting, training, and supervising volunteers.
- Coordinating intake of customers, collection of donations, and general administration of the center, including coordination with Legal Aid and Court staff regarding website updates, equipment use and maintenance, and other general administrative matters.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The successful candidate must be licensed to practice law in California with an unwavering commitment to equal access to justice and should possess many of the following qualifications:
- Familiarity with California Judicial Council forms and basic knowledge of the preparation and service of court filings.
- Ability to assume responsibility quickly and work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Ability to communicate clearly and respectfully with those who may have educational or language barriers to understanding, as well as with attorneys, other professionals, and court staff.
- Language: An ability to relate to the client community being served; bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
Location: This position will be housed in the Lompoc and Santa Barbara Legal Resource Centers. The attorney will work three days per week in Lompoc and two days per week in Santa Barbara.
Hours: Full-time, 37.5 hours per week (exempt).
Compensation/Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience. Generous personal leave and benefits package, including paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, and health insurance. Legal training opportunities are provided.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but priority consideration will go to those who apply by July 15, 2019. Please e-mail your resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County is an equal opportunity employer.
Volunteer Outreach Attorneys Needed (June 13, 2019)
Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County currently has an opening for two, ongoing volunteer attorneys to provide free legal information to members of our community at least two afternoons per month. Legal Aid’s volunteer lawyers provide “advice only” outreach in civil or family law matters at local community centers.
Santa Barbara’s Westside Community Center — 423 West Victoria Street
Alternating Mondays, 3pm-5pm.
Goleta Valley Community Center — 5679 Hollister Avenue
Alternating Wednesdays, 4pm-6pm.
Attorneys must be licensed to practice law in California and be in good standing with the state bar. Please contact Jennifer Smith, Executive Director (email@example.com), or Alex Lambrous, Director of Litigation (firstname.lastname@example.org), for further information about this very fulfilling opportunity.