We provide free legal assistance to:
1) eligible low-income families and individuals, people with disabilities, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, elder abuse, trafficking or other abuse who are
2) residing in Santa Barbara County
in the following areas of law:
- Unlawful Detainer (Eviction) (Proof of income required)
- Fair Housing (Proof of income required)
- Domestic Violence Restraining Orders & Related Services (no income guideline)
- Elder Abuse Restraining Orders & Related Services (no income guideline)
- Immigration Assistance for Victims of Crimes (U-Visa, T-VISA, VAWA self-petition, SIJs)
- Immigration Screenings for immigration remedies – options to obtain legal status
- Guardianship & Conservatorship (of the person only) (Only in Lompoc/ Santa Maria locations) (Proof of income required)
- Mortgage Foreclosure Prevention for Homeowners
- Consumer Protection – assisting victims of consumer fraud
- Counseling for first-time home buyers
Please visit one of our locations to submit an application for service. See our Locations page for the locations, hours & contact information for the Legal Aid offices.
Visite una de nuestras ubicaciones para presentar una solicitud de servicio. Consulte nuestra página de Ubicaciones/Locations para conocer las ubicaciones, los horarios y la información de contacto de las oficinas de la Fundación de Asistencia Legal.
NOTE: If you are seeking assistance on a matter or issue not listed above, you will be referred to other sources of legal assistance.
The Legal Resource Center of Santa Barbara County is staffed by a California licensed attorney, and open to the public on a first-come, first-served basis. Self-help assistance is offered in the completion of legal and court documents for various civil matters and infractions, and in properly presenting your case to the court.
- General Civil
- Small Claims Court
- Collecting a Judgment
- Unlawful Detainer
- Domestic Violence Restraining Orders & Responses
- Civil Anti-Harassment Restraining Orders & Responses
- Name Changes
For more information, visit www.sbcourts.org/sh/lrc.
Please see our Contact & Locations page for the locations, hours & contact information for our courthouse Legal Resource Centers.
Volunteer lawyers provide “advice only” outreach for civil (not criminal) matters at various community centers. Clients are seen on a “first-come, first served” basis, so please arrive before 4pm to sign up. Doors close promptly at 4pm.
Please call the community center ahead of time to ensure an attorney will be present. The current hours of operation and locations are:
Goleta Valley Community Center
1st and 3rd Wednesday of the Month (Civil Law) 5-6pm
2nd and 4th Wednesday of the Month (Civil Law) 4:30-6pm
5679 Hollister Avenue
Westside Community Center (Family Law)
423 W. Victoria Street
Santa Barbara, CA
Franklin Neighborhood Center (Immigration Law)
1136 E. Montecito St.
Santa Barbara, CA
Co-Sponsored by the City of Santa Barbara Parks and Recreation
For clients 60 years of age or older, an attorney is available for advice and information during a 30-minute consultation by appointment only on:
1st & 3rd Thursdays: 10:15am, 10:45am, and 11:15am
CONSUMER DEBT AND BANKRUPTCY CLINIC
Volunteer lawyers provide no-cost information about Chapter 7 bankruptcy, bankruptcy forms, and referrals for other consumer debt issues. Customers are assisted on first-come, first-served basis.
Consumer Debt & Bankruptcy Clinic
Fridays 10:00am-12:00pm (excluding court holidays)
US Bankruptcy Court
1415 State Street, 1st Floor
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Live Video Conferencing with a Pro Bono Bankruptcy Attorney Fridays 10:00am-12:00pm (excluding court holidays)
Paso Robles Superior Court
901 Park St. Room 112
Paso Robles, CA 93446
FAMILY LAW ADVICE ONLY OUTREACH (Santa Barbara)
We offer a 30-minute consultation with a Family Law attorney by appointment only on Wednesday mornings for those who qualify for our services.