COVID-19 Resources for Homeowners

Homeowners who are behind on their mortgage and worried about foreclosure should contact us immediately.How To Contact Us

Mortgage Relief is Now Available for Eligible California Residents

The California Mortgage Relief Program uses federal Homeowner Assistance Funds to help homeowners get caught up on their housing payments. The program is absolutely free and the funds do not need to be repaid. For more information on eligibility and how to apply, please visit:

What’s the status of foreclosures in California?

The federal foreclosure moratorium has expired and there was never a statewide moratorium. Borrowers who are behind on their mortgage due to a COVID-19 hardship have certain rights to relief only if their loan is backed by the federal government (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, FHA, VA, and USDA).

How do I know if I have a federally backed loan?

  • FHA loan: look for an FHA case number on your mortgage contract, although sometimes loans lose their FHA-insured status. Call your servicer or HUD’s National Servicing Center at 877-622-8525 if you have questions about your loan’s status.
  • VA loan: look at the documents you signed when you took out your mortgage. VA-guaranteed loans contain specific language in the note and mortgage that identifies it as a VA loan. Also, fees paid to the VA will be shown in the closing documents.
  • USDA loan: ask the servicer or check your closing documents from when you took out the loan.
  • Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans: use the Fannie Mae loan lookup tool and Freddie Mac loan lookup tool. You can also ask your servicer if Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac owns or guarantees your loan or call 800-232-6643 (Fannie Mae) or 800-373-3343 (Freddie Mac).

What are my relief options to avoid foreclosure?

Your options are highly dependent upon who owns your loan and your individual financial circumstances. For example, if your loan is backed by FHA, VA, or USDA, the period to request initial forbearance (a pause on payments) due to a COVID-related hardship has expired. However, if your loan is backed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, you can still request forbearance even if you never have (there is currently no deadline to do so). Additionally, if your loan is federally backed, you will not be required to pay a lump sum when your forbearance period expires. There are no such rights for private loans. These examples highlight how the rules vary depending on your situation. Contact us immediately to discuss your rights.

See NCLC’s Summary of Foreclosure Alternatives for Borrowers with COVID-19 Hardships.

***Beware of Foreclosure Rescue Scams***

Be wary of anyone who charges you up-front fees or guarantees that they can save your home or get you a certain outcome like a loan modification. If you think you’ve been scammed, contact us for help.

See Nolo’s Foreclosure Rescue Scams to Avoid.